Monday, August 29, 2016

Digital Blog Post #A - Chapter 1


First, I was very intruged with TPACK which stands for Technological pedagogical content knowledge. This is how teachers combine three different forms of knowledge to make fun and exciting learning experiences for students. This will impact me as a teacher by making learning fun and keeping all students focused by using computers and web 2.0 tools rather than a white board and a text book. When I was in elementary school we had a chalkboard with chalk and a plain textbook. I would always be bored out of my mind reading a book in which sometimes I would not know how to pronounce some of the words. I tried to focus and I could not wrap my head around it. Rather then, if  they offered to use computers and web tools it would have interacted me with the lesson and of course I would comprehended it a whole lot more.

Secondly, I thought digital identity and social media was important to success when teaching. There is a wide range of different networks and tools such as youtube, blogs, podcasts, imagine sharing, and emails that a student can use when working in a collaboration. When teaching students, results have found when students combine their information and knowledge they get more out of the lesson. Reflecting back on high school, I have reached to other students whom have been in my classes in case I  did not know how to do the homework assignment or was in a group project and had to put some of the finishing touches on it. This article refers to how social media reflected this classroom. 

Thirdly, teachers can use technology in their work as educators. There are three main sections of a teachers professional work. The first one is classroom instructions. Classroom instructions are important when a lesson is being taught. The second one is outside of the classroom activities. Outside of a classroom activities can be related to homework assingments in which the student has to practice what has been taught in the classroom. The last section is outside and inside the classroom learning activities. Doing projects and collaborations with classmates makes learning more fun and easier to comprehend the lesson. When I become a teacher, I am going to enforce these three main sections throughout each subject that is taught. It will not only help students gain their knowledge on a certain subject but also give them plenty of practice for when it comes down to testing. 
To conclude, 21st century teachers will be a lot more advanced in technology rather than older teachers. This will be competent for the teachers when using it in their work as educators and for the students who are getting taught through technology.

Resources
Textbook - Maloy, Robert, Verock-O'Loughlin, Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Smithsoian, E. F. (2012, April 15). What is 21st century education? Retrieved August 29, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax5cNlutAys

Crowley, B. Connecting a Classroom: Reflections on Using Social Media With My Students. (2015, September 09). Retrieved August 29, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment